Hudl screen intermittently unresponsive

Gather them together & we'll feedback to Tesco!

Re: Hudl screen intermittently unresponsive

Postby Rocket » 03 Nov 2013, 12:02

Guys I think you should contact Tesco for replacements. These are isolated cases so are hardware problems else we would all be suffering. Just take them in store and demonstrate the fault. Good luck.
At the end of the day.... It goes dark.
Rocket

Postby Flossyfi » 03 Nov 2013, 13:31

Rocket wrote:Guys I think you should contact Tesco for replacements. These are isolated cases so are hardware problems else we would all be suffering. Just take them in store and demonstrate the fault. Good luck.

I too have this problem, so perhaps not so isolated. Unresponsive or occasionally over responsive. I find that it resolves by just switching the screen on and off. I did take mine into store, but of course it behaved while there.
Flossyfi

Postby Rocket » 03 Nov 2013, 16:07

Sods Law applies. I have found that my touchscreen behaves oddly if I try to charge my Hudl with a generic charger of a lower rating. Take it off charge or use the official charger and all is well again.
At the end of the day.... It goes dark.
Rocket

Postby gardenersassistant » 03 Nov 2013, 16:17

Franc wrote:Hi

I am having the same problem and turning the screen off and back on solves the issue temporarily. Firmware update 1.3 has done any good to this issue.

Any luck for you guys?

Thanks

Franc

It didn't solve it for me. I have arranged a replacement (with some difficulty - I'll post about that later).
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby Shuggie33B » 03 Nov 2013, 18:16

Hi,
I'm a new member of the forum and new to tablets, though I'm quite happy with computers and OS up to and including Windows 7. However my venture into Hudl land has not been encouraging. As I wasn't fully aware of the Android OS it took me a while to realise that the left hand side of the screen was dying shortly after I'd been using it for a while. The first clue was that keys on the virtual keyboard (approx qwerasdzx) stopped working, though if the device was turned around they started working again. Then I noticed the lack of response with buttons on the LHS of a website of mine. Again, turning the device around allowed them to work.
I can't go on turning the tablet round! As this problem seems widespread and intrinsic to the OS I don't see any point in exchanging the device for a new one so, after just two days, I will be returning this for a refund. Is this a sensible course of action?
Shuggie33B

Postby gardenersassistant » 03 Nov 2013, 18:54

Shuggie33B wrote:Hi,
I'm a new member of the forum and new to tablets, though I'm quite happy with computers and OS up to and including Windows 7. However my venture into Hudl land has not been encouraging. As I wasn't fully aware of the Android OS it took me a while to realise that the left hand side of the screen was dying shortly after I'd been using it for a while. The first clue was that keys on the virtual keyboard (approx qwerasdzx) stopped working, though if the device was turned around they started working again. Then I noticed the lack of response with buttons on the LHS of a website of mine. Again, turning the device around allowed them to work.
I can't go on turning the tablet round! As this problem seems widespread and intrinsic to the OS I don't see any point in exchanging the device for a new one so, after just two days, I will be returning this for a refund. Is this a sensible course of action?

FWIW I'm from a similar Windows background and new to Android.

I don't know that this problem is intrinsic to the OS. The Nexus 7 2013 has had similar problems for months now (still unsolved I believe), problems which were amongst those that caused me to return my Nexus 7 2013 (the real killer was random reboots). But I don't know that it effects other similar Android devices (I haven't looked though, so perhaps it does).

When I spoke to Tesco Tech Support today (a confusing episode, documented here) the first person I spoke to said they knew about it and they thought it was a problem with a particular batch/batches of the device, as it had not been reported at all for the first batch.

I decided to go for a replacement rather than a refund, as I rather like the device, and a device from a later batch might be ok. I thought it worth trying. If the replacement has similar problems then I'll try for a refund.
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby InsaneFIDO » 12 Nov 2013, 23:18

I had the same problem with the unresponsive left side even after the device updated itself. As I ordered the hudl by phone from Tesco Direct I phoned them about it and was immediately given a return code and picked a fresh one up from my local store one hour later. The new one does not so far suffer from this issue, and also the speakers give louder clearer sound than the previous one. I suspect that the faulty batch theory could be close to the truth.
InsaneFIDO

Postby Archaic » 13 Nov 2013, 23:12

I took mine back for a replacement today but had to get a refund and order desperately through Tesco direct. I tried 4 stores today and all had sold out. Hopefully when the new one arrives on Friday it will be fault free.
Archaic

Postby rcmb » 02 Feb 2014, 20:53

Hi - I am new to tablets and bought a HUDL a week ago. I was getting on quite well with it but then, like other contributors, I noticed that the left hand keys were unresponsive (Q,A,Z,W,S) when held in landscape orientation. If I turned it through 90 degrees (portrait orientation), I could type these letters fine. I also had problems using that part of the screen with other apps. I subsequently found that turning the screen off and then on again cleared the fault temporarily. I contacted Tesco who explained that this was a known and fairly common problem that should be fixed soon - I think with an Android o/s software patch - and was advised to bear with it for now. I said I wasn't happy with this and would like to exchange it which I was told would be no problem. I was put through to technical support and again was told a software fix was coming soon but that I could exchange it if I wished. I decided to do this and the helpful lady at Tesco arranged for a replacement to be sent which, as promised, arrived the next morning. The new HUDL seems considerably more reliable although I have had the left hand side of the screen become unresponsive once. I also think the camera is better. So full marks to Tesco Customer Service for resolving the situation quickly and painlessly but why does Tesco persist in shipping items with (apparently) such a high incidence of problems? I have to say that overall I am so far very pleased with my HUDL. It appears well made, is easy to set up and use, pretty responsive and the voice recognition is extremely impressive. In my opinion, truly a bargain @£120. :)
rcmb

Previous

Return to Help & Support – Hudl bugs, Hardware problems, feature requests & problems