HUDL freezing and rebooting

Gather them together & we'll feedback to Tesco!

HUDL freezing and rebooting

Postby emptee » 11 Nov 2013, 08:26

So, just want to check if anyone else is getting this. When first setting it up, particularly over the first day, HUDL seemed to reboot for no reason.

Also, when using WiFi in particular, it seems to sometimes freeze. I am trying to figure out whether I am doing something or whether it is the HUDL that is faulty. What I think I have narrowed it down to is either it is something to do with the universal £12 case I bought from Tesco at the same time, or it is getting a bit hot from charging and use at the same time.

Yesterday it froze when watching a downloaded programme from iPlayer (jittering audio and frozen picture), and as I was out and didn't have a pin/paper clip to hand, I had to let the battery run itself down.

AFter that I have tried a hard boot, and a factory reset, and then the only apps I have installed are ES file explorer, MPlayer and BBC iPlayer. So,from an app point of view it seems to work fine. Last night left it looping through movies and no crashes or freezes. But when I tried copying something over the network, when the charger was plugged in, it froze halfway through. The tablet was rather warm on the back, so it makes me wonder about over heating.

Any thoughts from anyone, or similar experiences?
emptee

Re: HUDL freezing and rebooting

Postby Willa » 11 Nov 2013, 13:22

emptee wrote:So, just want to check if anyone else is getting this. When first setting it up, particularly over the first day, HUDL seemed to reboot for no reason.

Also, when using WiFi in particular, it seems to sometimes freeze. I am trying to figure out whether I am doing something or whether it is the HUDL that is faulty. What I think I have narrowed it down to is either it is something to do with the universal £12 case I bought from Tesco at the same time, or it is getting a bit hot from charging and use at the same time.

Yesterday it froze when watching a downloaded programme from iPlayer (jittering audio and frozen picture), and as I was out and didn't have a pin/paper clip to hand, I had to let the battery run itself down.

AFter that I have tried a hard boot, and a factory reset, and then the only apps I have installed are ES file explorer, MPlayer and BBC iPlayer. So,from an app point of view it seems to work fine. Last night left it looping through movies and no crashes or freezes. But when I tried copying something over the network, when the charger was plugged in, it froze halfway through. The tablet was rather warm on the back, so it makes me wonder about over heating.

Any thoughts from anyone, or similar experiences?

Hmmm - I would give the Tesco helpline a ring 0800 323 40 60
Willa

Postby Rocket » 11 Nov 2013, 13:25

Are you using the supplied charger and lead? I've noticed strange behaviour with an aftermarket charger. Also make sure that in advanced WiFi you do not have WiFi off while sleeping.
At the end of the day.... It goes dark.
Rocket

Postby Itsahudl » 11 Nov 2013, 16:44

Mine also fell over while transferring files via LAN. I did notice that a half dozen apps where trying to update at the same time, so after rebooting I stopped them and all was well afterwards. Maybe the Hudl is incined to get itself into something of a muddle if trying to do too much at one time....
Itsahudl

Postby emptee » 11 Nov 2013, 17:05

Yes. I think it might get itself a wee bit confused. I have turned off automatic updating of apps, and I will test it with a few different permutations to see if I can spot what triggers it. I would rather call the support and tell them what is wrong than the other way round (I find that normally works better). And yes, using the supplied charger (spotted that issue on a different forum).

A bit distracted today, but I will also try the wifi sleep mode setting tomorrow and see how it goes - although that said I haven't had the issues others have reported around the wifi not reconnecting, and I seem to think someone stating in another forum the 1.3 update resolved this (but I'm not to sure of this).
emptee

Postby emptee » 13 Nov 2013, 12:00

Just as a follow up to close this off. Reported the fault to Tesco and swapped out. We will see if the replaced one is a bit better.
emptee

Postby jimedge » 26 Dec 2013, 16:01

My young granddaughter just had a Hudl for Christmas and I was impressed by it's build quality and screen resolution. Its video performance is now major cause for concern. The moment my granddaughter tries to play any form of video the screen freezes and a soft reset is needed. This happens whether the video content is from external storage via OTG or from internal storage, and also happens with YouTube. The internet seems full of reports of similar problems. I have installed a task killer to stop unwanted apps running in the background and have also cleaned junk files, but the problem persists. My granddaughter now has a paperclip cellotaped to the inside of the case and has to use it probably 20 or so times in just 24 hours. I have advised her parents to get a refund and pay a little extra for a nexus 7.
jimedge

Return to Help & Support – Hudl bugs, Hardware problems, feature requests & problems