computer connection

Gather them together & we'll feedback to Tesco!

computer connection

Postby philwebb » 11 Oct 2013, 10:58

When I connect to a computer via USB using PTP the computer can see it but when connected using MTP the computer does not see it.
This is stopping me copying to the SD card
philwebb

Re: computer connection

Postby Hudlmaster » 11 Oct 2013, 13:07

Not sure why you are having this problem. When connected via USB (Windows 7 Ultimate), the Hudl is detected and appears as a drive to which I can copy files (both to the Hudl itself and the micro SD card).

The Hudl is turned on yes?
Hudlmaster
Site Admin

Postby Rocket » 11 Oct 2013, 13:29

No problems here in MTP mode using XP Pro. Can drag and drop to internal Memory or external card.
At the end of the day.... It goes dark.
Rocket

Postby philwebb » 11 Oct 2013, 13:32

Yes its switched on,as soon as I go to picture mode the computer can see it.
I am using Win 7.
At the moment the only way I can copy files from the computer is to copy them to the picture folder and then move them with a third party file manager
philwebb

Postby SteveShaw » 01 Nov 2013, 10:59

Having discovered that I can't copy photos directly to the Hudl from my camera (annoying!), I tried to copy them from my Vista laptop. Although the laptop (eventually) installed the drivers successfully, I still don't get any reaction at all from either the Hudl or the laptop when I connect them via USB (apart from the du-dum connection sound). I've installed a 16GB SD card into the Hudl for the express purpose of having my photos there. All I've achieved so far is getting the photos on to my Hudl SD card by taking it out of the Hudl and putting it into my laptop. Am I doing something wrong or have we gone back to the dark ages?!

Also, there seem to be no settings for the photo slide show on the Hudl, and the quality of the only available offering is abysmal - each photo "advances" towards you and never gets into focus before the next one pops up! In contrast, looking at individual photos with manual swiping gives excellent sharp images. Is there any fix for this that will just let me view "static" images for my slide shows and allow me to adjust the viewing time for each photo?

Ps. Please treat me as a computer thicko!
SteveShaw

Postby gardenersassistant » 01 Nov 2013, 16:43

SteveShaw wrote:Having discovered that I can't copy photos directly to the Hudl from my camera (annoying!), I tried to copy them from my Vista laptop. Although the laptop (eventually) installed the drivers successfully, I still don't get any reaction at all from either the Hudl or the laptop when I connect them via USB (apart from the du-dum connection sound). I've installed a 16GB SD card into the Hudl for the express purpose of having my photos there. All I've achieved so far is getting the photos on to my Hudl SD card by taking it out of the Hudl and putting it into my laptop. Am I doing something wrong or have we gone back to the dark ages?!

Also, there seem to be no settings for the photo slide show on the Hudl, and the quality of the only available offering is abysmal - each photo "advances" towards you and never gets into focus before the next one pops up! In contrast, looking at individual photos with manual swiping gives excellent sharp images. Is there any fix for this that will just let me view "static" images for my slide shows and allow me to adjust the viewing time for each photo?

I tried some practical experiments. I have carried out all of the options described below.

Plug manufacturer's (Panasonic in this case) USB cable into camera (small plug at camera end, normal usb at the free end.

Plug USB OTG cable into Hudl micro-USB port.

Connect the two cables.

With the Hudl and the camera switched on, can't see the Hudl using ES File Explorer. Fail.

From here on I'm assuming the PC is connected to the network that the Hudl is connected to. It doesn't have to be a wireless connection from the PC; wired is fine.

Connect camera to (in my case, Windows 7) PC using the camera's USB cable. Camera shows up in Windows Explorer as Removable Disk (H:). Set H: as shared with Read access for Everyone.

On the Hudl, using ES File Explorer, navigate to Network, LAN and select Scan to show PC's IP address (this may take a little while the first time you do it). Tap on the IP address and navigate to the sub-folder DCIM on H that contains the photos. Select all the images (or those that you want to copy to the Hudl). Select copy.

Still on the Hudl, navigate to Local, external_sd, navigate to/create appropriate folder as appropriate, and select paste.

Job done. Sounds complicated, but once you have done it once or twice you should find it quite quick and easy.

Oh! But .....

It turns out that this doesn't work for (my) Canon cameras. I tried it with two Canon cameras and the result was the same for both. Windows doesn't offer a sharing option for either of them, and the Hudl can't see either of them. Oddly, when looked at from Windows with the memory cards in the cameras, they show as formatted as DCF. When the cards are put into a card reader, they show as FAT32.

So, for Canon cameras it looks as though you would need to take the card out of the camera. You could then either plug it into a card reader plugged into a USB OTG cable on the Hudl, if you have that cable. However, it seems that you have to turn off the Hudl, plug in the OTG cable+card reader+card and then restart before the Hudl will see the card reader. (And it might be wise to power down before removing the card because there is no "Safely remove hardware" option as there is with Windows.)

So, for Canon cameras (and any others that aren't visible directly as a shared drive), a faster and easier alternative would be to put the card into a USB card reader on the PC, share that and continue as described above.

As to removing the micro-SD card from the Hudl, I found that very awkward to do. I find it much easier to work with the SDHC cards from the cameras.

I'm puzzled by your "Although the laptop (eventually) installed the drivers successfully, I still don't get any reaction at all from either the Hudl or the laptop when I connect them via USB (apart from the du-dum connection sound)." When I disconnect the charger cable from the 3-pin plug, and plug the micro-USB end of the cable into the Hudl and the USB end into the PC, in Windows Explorer I immediately see "Hudl" as a drive, and can see everything on it.

There are lots of image viewers available for the Hudl. Go to the Google Store and search for "Image Viewer". I happen to be using ES Image Browser, which does have a slide show option with 1, 3, 5, 10 and 15 second options for the interval. It does simple, no messing about transitions. I'm not recommending this, because I haven't looked at many of the alternatives, so you might well find something more to your liking. (For example ES Image Viewer doesn't let you loop the slide show, and it doesn't let you select just some of the photos in a folder for the slide show. As to whether any other app does, I don't know.
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby JimB » 01 Nov 2013, 22:22

gardenersassistant wrote:
It turns out that this doesn't work for (my) Canon cameras. I tried it with two Canon cameras and the result was the same for both. Windows doesn't offer a sharing option for either of them, and the Hudl can't see either of them. Oddly, when looked at from Windows with the memory cards in the cameras, they show as formatted as DCF. When the cards are put into a card reader, they show as FAT32.

I had similar problems with my Canon EOS350D when connecting to a friends Win7 PC ( I'm still on XP ! ).

The solution in my case was to go into the camera set-up and change the communication parameter from "PC" to "print/PTP".
After that it worked a treat and was a heck of a lot faster as well.

Hope this helps,
JimB
JimB

Postby gardenersassistant » 01 Nov 2013, 23:05

JimB wrote:gardenersassistant wrote:

I had similar problems with my Canon EOS350D when connecting to a friends Win7 PC ( I'm still on XP ! ).

The solution in my case was to go into the camera set-up and change the communication parameter from "PC" to "print/PTP".
After that it worked a treat and was a heck of a lot faster as well.

Hope this helps,
JimB

Thanks. This stuff gets so obscure!

Unfortunately I can't use this fix because I don't have (or if I do, I can't find) any setting like this (this is on a bridge and a P&S rather than a dSLR).
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby The Wingco » 30 May 2014, 13:19

SteveShaw wrote:Having discovered that I can't copy photos directly to the Hudl from my camera (annoying!), I tried to copy them from my Vista laptop. Although the laptop (eventually) installed the drivers successfully, I still don't get any reaction at all from either the Hudl or the laptop when I connect them via USB (apart from the du-dum connection sound). I've installed a 16GB SD card into the Hudl for the express purpose of having my photos there. All I've achieved so far is getting the photos on to my Hudl SD card by taking it out of the Hudl and putting it into my laptop. Am I doing something wrong or have we gone back to the dark ages?!

Can I ask how you got your Vista laptop to install the Hudl driver (did you get the driver from another source)? I'm tearing my hair out, having successfully paired mine with the laptop, but neither the cable nor Bluetooth enables the Hudl to be seen as a Removable Storage Device, so cannot transfer my music to it.
The Wingco

Return to Help & Support – Hudl bugs, Hardware problems, feature requests & problems