Alternatives to On Screen Keyboard

The place for questions and discussions on things you plug in to your Hudl

Alternatives to On Screen Keyboard

Postby Ginevra di Benci » 27 Oct 2013, 09:11

How convenient is the on screen keyboard when typing emails? ..... do you recommend buying a wireless keyboard and if so which is compatible with Hudl.
Ginevra di Benci

Re: Alternatives to On Screen Keyboard

Postby Rocket » 27 Oct 2013, 09:22

Never had a problem when typing Emails with the on screen keyboard but then it does take up a lot of screen real estate so best used in portrait mode. If you want to try an external keyboard then you need a BlueTooth keyboard and not just a generic wireless keyboard as these need a USB dongle in the host device and the Hudl may not have drivers to support this. There was some talk on another forum that Morrison's supermarket were selling a BlueTooth keyboard that worked with the Hudl.
At the end of the day.... It goes dark.
Rocket

Postby Ginevra di Benci » 27 Oct 2013, 09:38

Many thanks for speedy response ..... will await the arrival of Hudl (2 weeks) .. and try out onscreen keyboard first, but very useful to know there is an alternative.
Ginevra di Benci

Postby gardenersassistant » 31 Oct 2013, 09:53

I took delivery of a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse yesterday and am impressed with how much easier they make it to do certain things, such as typing this reply and working on documents and spreadsheets in Kingsoft Office. I can touch type, and although my Bluetooth keyboard is small I find I can type at full speed on it. All the keys I want are to hand without having to switch between keyboards for letters and digits/symbols as you need to with the virtual keyboard. A number of keys and key combinations work in ways I'm used to from Windows, such as the arrow keys, Esc, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, and Tab and Shift-Tab in spreadsheets and on the Home pages.

Shift-Up,Down,Left,Right Arrow let you define text selections in the word processor.

On the keyboard I'm using there is also a menu key that takes you to the menu for the screen you are on, and (using the Fn modifier) also keys to go to the home page and to the search input for a page. (There are no Home, End, Page Up or Page Down keys unfortunately.)

I have found it difficult to use a finger or a stylus to position the text cursor exactly where I want it when making corrections to text or numeric input. The finger or stylus block my view of where I am trying to position the cursor, and in any case neither finger nor stylus is terribly accurate. With the mouse I can see exactly what I am doing and the mouse pointer gives me a very exact position.

A mouse click is equivalent to a tap, and holding and dragging with a mouse key down works just like long press and swipe with a finger or stylus. Holding the Shift key down and then dragging across text with the mouse defines a selection of text. The scroll wheel can used for scrolling through pages (too slowly for my taste, needing multiple wheel clicks per line up or down) or menus (where the scroll rate is fine - one wheel per menu item up or down). What you can't do is multi-touch gestures such as pinch, for which you have to use the screen.

To type this I'm working with the Hudl propped up in its case and I'm looking at the Hudl screen at the moment, but last night I had the Hudl outputting to HDMI on my desktop screen and worked looking at the desktop screen rather than the Hudl screen. I use Displayport for my PC, so using the screen's HDMI input for the Hudl I can easily switch back and forth between PC and Hudl output on the big screen. Together with the keyboard and mouse, this configuration makes the Hudl like an inexpensive PC substitute (for a more restricted range of apps that with a PC of course). It wouldn't work for me because of some of the photography software I use and some of the games I play, but it might work for people who only need basic apps such as email, browsing, diary/calendar, a bit of simple word processing and spreadsheet, Skype (although I don't think it is very good for Skype because of the very low quality front camera), iPlayer, news channels, weather, Google Maps, Google Earth, You Tube, Facebook, Twitter, image viewing, ebooks, casual games. Not only would it give them access to these basic apps,using a keyboard and mouse in a familiar way, but they would have the benefit of having a tablet they could use at home without having to sit at a desk and away from home. I've also discoverd that Bluetooth speakers work nicely with my Hudl.

Thus far, after the first few days, it is looking good. (I've never used a tablet before by the way, so this is all quite new and exciting for me.)
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby avtur » 31 Oct 2013, 10:16

That is very helpful 'gardenerassistant', many thanks.

Could I ask what make the keyboard and mouse are please?

Ta.
avtur

Postby gardenersassistant » 31 Oct 2013, 10:59

avtur wrote:That is very helpful 'gardenerassistant', many thanks.

Could I ask what make the keyboard and mouse are please?

Ta.

The keyboard is a Perixx PERIBOARD-804 UK.

I forgot to mention that I had to buy External Keyboard Helper Pro, £1.95, to get the keys on the keyboard to map to UK settings. I have also used it to add a delay before auto-repeat kicks in, and so far that seems to be preventing the issue I have been having with repeating keys, at least when using the physical keyboard. Until now when I have been getting repeating taps on the virtual keyboard or elsewhere I have been turning the screen off and on again, which seems to cure it for a while.

The mouse is an HP X4000b.
Nick
gardenersassistant

Postby JimB » 01 Nov 2013, 15:42

I now use a Micro USB 'OTG' cable and a leather-look cover/holder/stand/keyboard for 7" tablets
The keyboard I got from Amazon some time ago and it works well. The keys are still a bit small for my fingers, but I make fewer typos with it than the on-screen board.
The connection is a bit awkward - the OTG cable I have has a straight connctor which prevents me having my Hudl the right way up (whatever that is) so the connector is at the top. The squeakers and rear camera are covered when in the case, but I don't see that as a drawback yet.
Setup was relatively straightforward, Settings > Language & input > Physical Keyboard >CZW USB Keyboard etc.
There are still some functions that can only be carried out with a rubber tipped stick, but in my opinion they are minor.
I expect a full sized USB keyboard could be connected this way but I have no idea of the relative power requirements.
Hope this helps,
JimB
P.S:
My Amazon search: Leather Book Case & USB Keyboard for 7" Android Tablets
brought up many results, the best being £3.60 + £1.95 postage
JimB

Postby laserblazer » 20 Nov 2013, 06:50

I just tried a £15.99 wireless keyboard and mouse that I got in Wilkinsons and that works ok. It needs an OTG cable.
laserblazer

Return to Help & Support - Peripherals & Accessories